What is an SBA 504 loan?
SBA 504 loans enable business owners to buy commercial real estate and other fixed assets at below-market, long-term, fixed interest rates. Fully amortized over 25 years, these payments carry no balloon payment.
SBA 504 loans from TMC feature:
- As low as 10% down, so you can keep your cash working to grow your business. Single-purpose facilities or start-up businesses require a minimum of 15% down
- Below-market fixed interest rates with payments fully-amortized over 25 years, no balloon payment
- No limit to the total project cost
- No additional collateral required
- Closing and other soft costs can be added to SBA 504 loans
Connect with our SBA 504 Loan Experts
SBA 504 Loan Structure
The SBA 504 loan is a second mortgage loan backed by the SBA.
The 1st mortgage is provided by a conventional lender, representing approximately 50% of the total project cost.
The SBA 504 2nd mortgage, representing generally 40% of the total project cost, has a long-term, up to 25 years, and fixed interest rate, fully amortized for the full term of the loan.
Using a $5 million loan example, the financing structure would look like this:
- Conventional loan (1st) - $2,500,000 - 50%
- SBA 504 loan (2nd) - $2,000,000 - 40%
- Borrower down payment - $500,000 - 10%
SBA 504 vs. 7(a) vs. Conventional
The SBA offers both the 504 and 7(a) loans, each valuable for their differences. The SBA 504 Loan is for the purchase of real estate and other fixed assets, and the 7a loan is more commonly used when working capital financing is needed. The 504 offers a low, fixed rate, while the 7(a) interest rate is variable and often unpredictable. The project maximum of a 7(a) loan is $5M and there is no project maximum with an SBA 504 Loan.
|SBA 504||SBA 7(a)||Conventional|
|Down Payment||10% minimum||10-15% minimum||25-40%|
|Interest Rates||SBA second mortgage at below-market rates, fixed for 25 years||Typically variable; tied to prime||Varies by lender|
|Fees||Included in SBA loan; approximately 2.15%||Paid out-of-pocket; typically about 2.75%||Paid out-of-pocket; approximately 1%|
|Project Size||No maximum||Maximum loan amount $5 million||No maximum|
|Collateral||No additional collateral required||Additional collateral typically required for 90% financing||Typically no additional collateral required|
|Prepayment Penalty||Yes, for first 10 years, declining each year||Yes, typically in first three years||Varies by lender|